The GLCA NEH Endowment fund supports travel to Japan, within Japan, or to other East Asian countries as part of projects related to the study of Japan. Prior experience in Japanese Studies is not necessary, however the rationale for travel must be carefully documented. The fund is available to faculty members from the Great Lakes Colleges Association and the Associated Colleges of the Midwest.
The following conditions are used as a guideline for successful proposals:
- A least ten days will be spent in the country to be visited
- The visit will include activities that can only be carried out in the country being visited (meetings, museum and library visits; shrines, temples, & natural science ﬁeld sites)
- The results will be integrated into other activities on the proposer’s home campus
- The visit will result in new courses on Japan or enhanced Japan-related content in existing courses
- There are matching funds from the home campus
- The proposer has not received a grant from the Fund in the last two years
Grants in this category provide up to $2,500 for travel, lodging, and meals. Proposals should indicate beneﬁts to the home campus and/or consortial campuses (course enhancements, lectures, performances, exhibits, etc.).